In any correction situation, the goal will always be effective communication and a change of heart and behavior. In the event of a violation of this Code of Conduct, an LAF representative will complete a Violation Report, which will be shared with the family and kept on file. The Learning and Families Board of Directors reserves the right to limit or revoke Support Community and/or Co-op participation in the event of multiple violation reports.
Violations below refer to any that occur in a given academic year. However, records of violations will be kept on file for at least seven years and may be consulted by the Board of Directors and/or Disciplinary Committee at their discretion.
- Documentation of violation and review of Code of Conduct expectations
- Student receives a verbal warning
- Parent/guardian notified by email or text of the violation
- No parent/guardian or student signature is needed for a first violation
Second Violation or First Serious Violation
- A serious violation is defined as
- any behavior with malicious intent towards another student or adult
- the appearance of being under the influence of an illegal substance
- possession of illegal substances and/or weapon(s)
- Immediate removal from LAF premises or events will be enforced in response to first serious violation
- Board member completes a Violation Report, including a signature from the student and the reporting adult (if there is one).
- Board member contacts parent/guardian and arranges a meeting with the student, parent/guardian, and at least two Board members. Parent/guardian and student are given a copy of the Violation Report. The report must be signed by the student’s parent/guardian and returned to a Board member prior to attending an LAF function. If it is a Co-op related violation, signed report must be returned to a Board member by the next attended Co-op day in order to return to LAF Co-op.
- Student must submit a paragraph to Board member explaining what they did that was wrong, why it was wrong, and how they plan to improve their behavior and prevent repeating the violation. Paragraph must be signed by the parent/guardian and returned to a Board member. Must be completed prior to attending an LAF function, including Co-op. Paragraph will be attached to the Violation Report when received.
- Board member completes a Violation Report, including a signature from the student, and the reporting adult (if there is one). This report must also be signed by the student and parent/guardian.
- Upon a third violation, a Board member will arrange a meeting between the Disciplinary Committee, student, parent/guardian, and at least one Board member.
- The Disciplinary Committee will discuss the appropriate follow-up actions, which may include specified consequences, the request of a parent/guardian to chaperone student at all events (including Co-op classes), suspension from classes, or even removal from the Co-op and/or Support Community. Student may not attend LAF functions or return to LAF Co-op until a decision is made by a majority vote of the Disciplinary Committee and the necessary follow-up actions are taken.